Rug hooking has always been a fun and easy project for almost anyone. Even grandfathers can do a mean hooked rug for a great handmade gift.
No experience required.
Time: 4 hours and up
Materials list: ?You?re probably not ready to rough out your own design on burlap just yet, but we?ve got some great kits in the Sew Easy store in Sechelt. $23.99 includes everything you need to make your first rug-hooked project.?
VIDEO TUTORIAL FROM Herrschners on Youtube:
- Open up your grid. Each grid square is 10×10 rug hooks.
- Open up your pattern. Your yarn is pre-cut and matches the legend on the pattern.
- Take a piece of your yarn and fold it around the latch hook with the little lever open.
- Hold your yard with your opposite hand to keep it taut.
- Push the latch hook through the hole in your grid, all the way so the little lever has gone all the way through. You?re going to pull it back through with the yarn crossing over the hook below the lever, in between the lever and the hook. When the hook draws through it closes itself and pulls the yarn through in a neat knot.
A more advanced finish:
To finish your edge you can roll it over and whip stitch it with some rug thread and a needle, or you can use iron-on binding to seal it.